Underwater Photo Workshop - Beyond the Basics with Kevin Deacon & Josie Ruth
About the Workshop
Relive your favourite experiences by capturing the wonder and adventure of the aquatic realm with digital underwater photography.
The weekend workshop is suitable for all levels of underwater digital photographers.
Participants will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge of digital underwater image capture styles, techniques, equipment, composition and lighting.
The workshops are not highly technical, the focus is on practical application of the key elements for successful UW digital image capture and the correct photographic equipment required. Kevin and Josie are masters at underwater image capture and expert at making the concepts simple and uncomplicated while at the same time developing your ability to improve your future results.
Kevin Deacon is one of the pioneers of Under Water Photography in Australia. His images have won many awards and have been published in prestigious books, magazines & advertising over the past 40 years. Kevin also created the first underwater photography training programmes in Australia and also with Josie they continue to provide outstanding tuition today.
Josie Ruth is the manager of Dive 2000 Scuba & Photography Centre and she is Australia's most experienced Scuba and Underwater Photography consultants. Josie has many years of experience in above and underwater photography and she excels in helping our participants reach their goals.
We are also proud that many of our participants have become award winning photographers and successful professionals in the diving and publishing industry.
Our base for the weekend is a Beach House in Halifax Holiday Park at Nelson Bay which also provides the option of nice accommodation in the Holiday House or Villas nearby if accommodation is required.
There are plenty of other accommodation options in the Nelson Bay area if you prefer to make your own arrangements and camping or caravan sites are also available at Halifax Holiday Park or other holiday parks nearby.
The dive sites are selected from the best sites in the Marine Park bordered by Halifax and Fly Point. These sheltered dive sites within Port Stephens offer easy beach entry, depths ranging from 5 to 28 meters and the best diversity of fish and marine life in NSW.
Our support dive shop is Lets Go Adventures, Nelson Bay and they have excellent facilities including Air Fills or Nitrox Fills. They also have a gear washing area, shower & toilets.
- $395 (excluding accommodation)
- $595 (including accommodation, twin share or double share in a Beach House)
- Separate Villa Accommodation is also available in the Holiday Park. Price TBA
- Non workshop participants (Diver or Non Diver) $25 (excluding accommodation) or $225 (including accommodation, twin or double share based on availablity)
- $25 Sat night BBQ
- Instructors Kevin Deacon & Josie Ruth.
- Saturday & Sunday Mornings will be spent in the workshops.
- Saturday and Sunday Afternoon a dive will be conducted in the marine park and during late afternoon images will be reviewed and critiqued.
- Saturday Night a BBQ will be provided, relax with some drinks with friends and fellow divers (BYO Drinks).
- The accommodation will be available Friday afternoon through to Monday 10am checkout. The program will finish at 5:30pm Sunday evening after which participants can choose to pack and depart or stay overnight for a Monday departure.
- Theory and practical session including 2 shore dives at one of the Nelson Bay local sites.
- Course materials and notes prepared by Kevin & Josie
- Personal advice on configuration, choices or upgrades of your camera system or accessories
What You Need to Bring
- Your Camera if you already have one. (Systems might be available to hire but you will need to book them in advance)
- Complete set of dive gear including air cylinder & weights.
- Food & drinks for the weekend. (However plenty of Cafes and Restaurants are nearby including Take Away)
- Towel, hat and sunscreen.