Kevin Deacon is considered one of Australia’s most experienced, accomplished and highly published underwater photographers. His images have received international acclaim and have graced the pages of prestigious books and magazines through out the World during the past 25 years.
Stories about Kevin;
Kevin’s expertise and experience includes organizing and leading adventure dive and underwater photography / video tours to exotic locations throughout the world. As a keen naturalist he also enjoys introducing divers to the incredible biodiversity of the marine world. As an expedition leader Kevin has been responsible for many successful expeditions and photo shoots for other notable photographers & naturalists such as Jean Michel Cousteau & David Doubilet, National Geographic.
Still a diving enthusiast - after 45 years!
As a PADI Master Diver Trainer Kevin has been actively involved in all levels of diver training from beginners through to trainee instructors and dive masters over the past 40 years. He is regarded as one of the pioneers of recreational diving in Australia, introducing the concept of underwater photography courses in Australia during 1980. Kevin’s training programmes and guidance has helped many other Australian & international underwater photographers achieve their goals and awards.
Kevin has also received recognition for his continuing support of PADI and significant contributions to PADI’s growth in Australia. He has also been awarded the prestigious SSI Pro 5000 award. This award is only given to those who SSI (Scuba Schools International) recognize as having completed in excess of 5000 dives in pursuit of their career. In their words `The Upper Echelon – the top 1% of all divers worldwide’.
In 2002, South Pacific Divers, conveners of the Australasian Photographer of the Year Awards, introduced an elite Masters Award for the purpose of defining the best underwater photographer in Australasia. Kevin succeeded in winning the Masters Award in its inaugural year.
Kevin Deacon, also an accomplished author, has produced some spectacular books. These include:
- Australia Down Under, a best seller that revealed the diversity of reefs, marine life and environment in Australian seas.
- Australia and the South Pacific, an equally spectacular coffee table book that captured the culture and beauty of these island nations and the unique underwater environment of each region.
- Sharks & Rays, a co production with several authors and photographers that produced a beautifully illustrated book revealing the value of sharks and a guide to shark dive sites, diving & interacting with sharks around the world.
Kevin’s many awards include:
- Oceans Underwater Photographer of the Year (Australians original Underwater Photographic Festival sponsored by Sport Diving Magazine)
- South Pacific Divers, Australasian Photographer of the Year, 1998 Australia’s most prestigious underwater photography award)
- Australian Geographic Award 1993. In recognition of excellence for the best photography in Australian Geographic Magazine during 1993.
- Dive Australia Award. (For international Achievement in Underwater Photography & Cinematography 1994. Awarded by the Australian Diving Industry representatives.
- PADI Founding Father Award 1995. (For outstanding contribution to the development of underwater still and live action photography in the recreational diving industry and the media.
- South Pacific Divers, Australasian Photographer of the Year 2002 Masters Award (The highest award ever attained by an underwater photographer in Australasia)